Video fileserver - Need some input

Andreas Widerøe Andersen wodfer at gmail.com
Wed May 9 12:21:23 UTC 2007

I'm planning a new fileserver for my post-production facility and need some
input regarding filesystems and network setup. I've been a FreeBSD fan for
almost 10 years now and will try to build this server based on the latest
stable FreeBSD version, allthough most machines here run WinXP.

We have an internal 1 Gigabit network here and in addition to this the video
fileserver will have two direct NIC connections to two WinXP capture
stations. I will most likely be using a Raid-0 or a Raid-5 setup with SATA
drives. The system will have something like 4-8 TB of HDD space.

I'm not so afraid of loosing data, but we need a system that is fast and
will allow capture from two external Windows XP machines through direct
Gigabit ethernet. The datarates are 8 bit @ 720 x 576 @ 25fps = 20 MB
per/sec, or 70 GB per/hr.
10 bit @ 720 x 576 @ 25fps = 26 MB per/sec, or 93 GB per/hr.

In addition to this 1-5 machines will have access to the fileserver through
a shared Gigabit network connection for making DVDs and use the files as
source for editing. In short: There will be two direct 1Gb network
connections and one shared 1Gb connection. Will the server hold up?

So, my questions are, will the default FreeBSD filesystem be fast enough?
Are there any special settings I need to do during slice/partitioning? The
files will be LARGE. :-)

Samba will probably be ideal for the shared connection so users can browse
the directories. Samba should be able to do this, right?

Any other recommendations are very welcome.

Thanks!

Regards,
Andreas W. Andersen