ppp is broken???

Nagy László Zsolt nagylzs at freemail.hu
Tue May 8 13:53:37 UTC 2007

Bob írta:
> The method you are using is obsolete.
> The following is all you need.
> Take special note of rc.conf statements to use.
> ####################  start of DSL ppp.conf  ###################
> default:
>
>  set log Phase tun             #use to avoid excessive log sizes
>  set timeout 0                 # no idle time out, will not disconnect
>
> dialisp:
>  set device PPPoE:XXX          # replace xxx with your NIC device name
>  set authname YOURLOGINNAME    # Replace with your ISP account username
>  set authkey YOURPASSWORD      # Replace with your ISP account password
>  add default HISADDR           # Add a (sticky) default route (Mandatory)
>  enable dns             # Gets the ISP's DNS IP address & places them
>                         # in resolv.conf for reference by FBSD box.
>
> ###############   End of DSL ppp.conf   #################################
> Replace the XXX in the [set device PPPoE:XXX] statement with the NIC's FBSD
> interface name. Sometimes it will be necessary to use a service tag to
> establish your connection depending on how your ISP and/or the phone company
> has its DSL network configured. Service tags are used to distinguish between
> different PPPoE servers attached to a given network. You should have been
> given any required service tag information in the documentation provided by
> your ISP. If you cannot locate it there, ask your ISP's tech support
> personnel. This is the format of the command with the service tag added:
> set device PPPoE:xxxx:service_tag
> The xxxx is the FBSD interface name used by PPPoE. The interface must be UP
> (IE: enabled). It is only used as a transport, and does not need to be
> assigned an IP address. This can be done automatically at boot time by
> updating the /etc/rc.conf file. The format of the statement to add is
> ifconfig_xxxx=up where xxxx is the NIC's FBSD interface name used by PPPoE
> that you specified in the /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file.
> ee /etc/rc.conf      # add following statements
> ifconfig_xxxx=up
> ifconfig_tun0="DHCP"    # get your ISP assigned IP address

Dear Bob,

I installed a new OS (release 6.1) just for testing ADSL so others can
work. What you wrote works fine, except that I had to use "papchap"
label instead of "dialisp" and I also had to include ppp_enable="YES" in
/etc/rc.conf.

Now my only question is that, why my configuration was obsolete? I
noticed that the example file installed by default is from 1999. :-)

Thanks,

   Laszlo