Sysinstall Drive Geometry

Lewis Joshua joshua.lewis at familyfunzone.net
Tue May 8 13:06:11 UTC 2007

Hello List,

I am installing FreeBSD 6.2 on a DELL 2900 with a PERC 5i controller.
There are three 750GB SATA drives using Hardware Raid 5. When I try
to install FreeBSD I get errors when fdisking the drive. I have never
had that problem with FreeBSD so I don't know what to do. Of course I
have never had the opportunity to install FreeBSD on this kind of
hardware.

I first thought maybe it was because I was using a FreeBSD x86
install CD. But the system has a Quad Zeon and that is a 64bit chip
right? So I downloaded the X86-64 (The one that says AMD64. I read
the docs on that and on ia64 and I think I chose the correct CD).
However I still get the same problem.

I realize it was dumb for me to think it was due to the architecture.
But I was kind of grasping at straws. Dell claims they don't support
FreeBSD. And I have read on the list just yesterday that you either
get lucky or not when using Dell and FreeBSD.

This is a test box at home for messing around. So I can do anything
to the system. Reinstall or what ever. My goal was to install FreeBSD
and then the VMware server port and use it as a lab/firewall for my
internal network.

The funny thing is I can fdisk the drive auto create the /, /swap, /
temp, /var, /usr and just keep going no biggie. The system installs
fine and boots and is doing a cvsup as we speak. So I don't even know
if I should worry about it.

Thanks for any input. The FreeBSD list has always been a great help.
So again thanks in advance.