Optional Wireless Interface

Tom McLaughlin tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org
Tue May 8 01:00:58 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 15:10 -0700, Cy Schubert wrote:
> Before I embark on yet another mini project, is there an approach to
> optionally configure an interface only if another interface has not been
> configured? If for example rl0 is configured using DHCP ath0 would not be
> configured.

One idea I had was adding some sort of profile support to netif.

rc.conf:
# Network profiles:
netprofile_enable="YES"
netprofile_list="HomeWired HomeWifi"
HomeWired_ifconfig_em0="DHCP"
HomeWifi_ifconfig_iwi0="DHCP"

With netprofile_enable set it would cycle through the profile list
stopping with the first that succeeded.  Additionally you could do
`/etc/rc.d/netif action profile` to start up the interfaces associated
with a particular profile.  I wanted to do this since I have home wired
and wifi and work wired and wifi I use my laptop with.  I got distracted
so I stopped looking at the idea.

tom

--
| tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org             tmclaugh at FreeBSD.org |