disaster recovery - did I do the right thing?

Jeff Palmer questions at totaldiver.net
Mon May 7 17:19:51 UTC 2007

At 07:05 PM 5/5/2007, Ray wrote:
>Hello all,
>I did something stupid the other day (sleep deprivation combined with
>a "clever" hack were the main reasons), and I'm just curious if I did the
>right thing afterwards.
>
>The mistake:
>/usr/local/# rm -f *
>note that root was running bash as a shell at the time, found
>in /usr/local/bin or something.
>
>What I did was to start over, reinstall from scratch.
>my question, was there an easier way?
>thanks,
>Ray

Ray,

Good quality backups are a must.  Even a filesystem snapshot would
have helped in the above scenario.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/snapshots.html
The link above has great info about creating and using filesystem
snapshots.   If you had one,  you could have just mounted the
snapshot,  and copied over the files/folders you accidentally removed.

Jeff