ppp is broken???

Bob bob at a1poweruser.com
Mon May 7 14:25:22 UTC 2007

The method you are using is obsolete.
The following is all you need.
Take special note of rc.conf statements to use.
####################  start of DSL ppp.conf  ###################
default:

 set log Phase tun             #use to avoid excessive log sizes
 set timeout 0                 # no idle time out, will not disconnect

dialisp:
 set device PPPoE:XXX          # replace xxx with your NIC device name
 set authname YOURLOGINNAME    # Replace with your ISP account username
 set authkey YOURPASSWORD      # Replace with your ISP account password
 add default HISADDR           # Add a (sticky) default route (Mandatory)
 enable dns             # Gets the ISP's DNS IP address & places them
                        # in resolv.conf for reference by FBSD box.

###############   End of DSL ppp.conf   #################################
Replace the XXX in the [set device PPPoE:XXX] statement with the NIC's FBSD
interface name. Sometimes it will be necessary to use a service tag to
establish your connection depending on how your ISP and/or the phone company
has its DSL network configured. Service tags are used to distinguish between
different PPPoE servers attached to a given network. You should have been
given any required service tag information in the documentation provided by
your ISP. If you cannot locate it there, ask your ISP's tech support
personnel. This is the format of the command with the service tag added:
set device PPPoE:xxxx:service_tag
The xxxx is the FBSD interface name used by PPPoE. The interface must be UP
(IE: enabled). It is only used as a transport, and does not need to be
assigned an IP address. This can be done automatically at boot time by
updating the /etc/rc.conf file. The format of the statement to add is
ifconfig_xxxx=up where xxxx is the NIC's FBSD interface name used by PPPoE
that you specified in the /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file.
ee /etc/rc.conf      # add following statements
ifconfig_xxxx=up
ifconfig_tun0="DHCP"    # get your ISP assigned IP address