lpd of CUPS?

Modulok modulok at gmail.com
Sun May 6 22:57:52 UTC 2007

Looking for some suggestions from the list on this one:

I need a print server that allows for printing from both FreeBSD and various
Windows clients. For the later, I'll use Samba to actually share the
printer. As far as the spooler on the FreeBSD host machine, what's the
general consensus: lpd or CUPS?

-My clients are computer illiterate (they're incapable of specifying filter
options).
-I have to be able to strictly control access to the printer.
-Accounting of the number of pages printed by each user would be helpful.
-Print quotas would be nice, but not entirely required.
-Must be robust enough that I can leave for six months and when I come back
it still works.
-The printer is an HP Laserjet 1020

Pros, cons?
-Modulok-