CVS release tag for current patched release

Martin Hudec corwin at aeternal.net
Sun May 6 19:05:43 UTC 2007

Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
> The short version of my question is whether the cvs tag RELENG_6_2
> refers to the latest on the 6.2 STABLE branch or the 6.2 RELEASE Branch.

RELENG_6 - actual -STABLE
RELENG_6_2 - actual -RELEASE-pX

-RELEASE are taken off -STABLE at predefined times, and as such we can
say, that -RELEASE is snapshot from -STABLE at the date of new release.
Development is being done in -STABLE.

So if you want to have current release with it's patchlevels as they
are, use RELENG_6_2.

> I wish to make some minor local modifications to my system running 6.2
> RELEASE p4.  So far, I've been maintaining my system using csup with a
> sup file based on
>
>   /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile
>
> But my local changes get overwritten with each new update using csup.  I
> was advised earlier on this list to use cvs instead (which I thought
> csup did, but now I see that csup (and cvsup) will use "checkout" mode
> instead of "CVS mode" unless I'm on the bleeding edge.

Copy this file somewhere else, like /usr/local/etc and modify it as you
need. Whole cvsup command would look like:

# cvsup -L 2 /usr/local/etc/stable-supfile

kind regards,
Martin