can't zip large files 2gb >

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Fri May 4 18:28:21 UTC 2007

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 01:33:09PM -0400, David Banning wrote:

> first time I have tried files of this size - but I get the same
> problem no matter what compression utility I use; tried gzip, bzip2,
> rzip and compress.

Which is why I suspected a corrupted library and asked that ldd(1) be
run on his utilities. We found they were statically linked, in
/usr/bin/. That sounds fishy.

As for running out of ram, if the whole system was built statically
linked then such would not be surprising.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net