can't zip large files 2gb >

David Banning david+dated+1178732582.871d02 at skytracker.ca
Fri May 4 17:53:23 UTC 2007

> available. At least some of your utilities in /usr/bin are statically
> linked.
>
> In 5.5 the statically linked utilities are in /stand, while dynamically
> linked versions of the same are in their normal places.
OK.

> -r-xr-xr-x  30 root  wheel  2046148 Nov  4  2004 /stand/gzip
>
> I would expect your gzip to be about the same 2M in size.
Yes. It is.

> % ldd /stand/gzip /usr/bin/gzip
> ldd: /stand/gzip: not a dynamic executable
> /usr/bin/gzip:
>         libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5 (0x28080000)

> If you have sources I would try replacing those utilities. If that works
> then we have exonerated your hardware, but now all your software is
> suspect.

I have upgraded my system to FreeBsd 4.9, the libc.so.5 in your case is
libc.so.4 in my case but it looks like it has been rebuilt in the upgrade.

I have downloaded and compiled the new 1.3.3 beta gzip from the gzip
website, and built it with no difference in my problem resulting.
I have uninstalled and re-installed bzip2 - also with the same eroneous
results.

What seems strange is that the failure is not a massive failure
the gzipped and then gunzipped file is only 2 bites difference
on a 3G file. I am wondering now if something could be amiss in
my BIOS - any thoughts here?