Easiest method to install a DVD writer

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Fri May 4 03:21:05 UTC 2007

dave at transducertech.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a desktop Compaq computer running the latest stable version of
> FreeBSD. I want to install a DVD writer to use for backups (either
> internal or USB). Can someone recommend the easiest method to do this
> by? Is there a list of supported DVD writers for the latest stable
> version of FreeBSD? I don't want to spend a lot of time configuring it.
> I just want to install something I know will work, with minimal need for
> configuration. Also, will I need special software to do the actual
> writing? If so, what free software works well and is easy to use?
> Suggestions? Success stories?
> Thanks,
> Dave
> P.S. Please include this email address in the reply:
> dave at transducertech.com, otherwise I won't see your response.

I only think that you'd have problems with older drives or bleeding edge
drives though.

Look for drives that are compatible with Mac if possible. If so, you're
golden.

/me loves his Samsung drive, which happily burns CDs in FreeBSD and
Linux with little issue (only stupid linux permissions problems from
time to time, but that's PoS udev for you >:(..).

-Garrett