scp/sftp without interactive shell?

Ghirai ghirai at ghirai.com
Thu May 3 15:02:17 UTC 2007

Hello Ewald,

> Hi,

> I'm looking for a way to securely transfer files between machines
> using either scp or sftp without giving the user a login shell on the
> target machine. Put in another way: The user should be able to
> transfer files but must not have an interactive login shell on the
> target box.

> Giving the user a shell of "/bin/true" or something similar on the
> target machine is not an option since scp doesn't seem to work in this
> case.

> Any ideas how this could be accomplished?

> Thanks in advance for your help,
> -ewald

Given your requirement,
i would suggest installing pure-ftpd and puredb (from ports).

With that you can create as many virtual users as you like, and
restrict access/speed/etc to fit your needs.

Your clients will connect over SSL FTP, which i assume is acceptable.

A detailed guide is here: http://www.bsdguides.org/guides/freebsd/networking/pure-ftpd_virtual_users.php

Hope this helps.

--
Best regards,