List of UPCs that can auto-shutdown FreeBSD

Jonathan Horne freebsd at dfwlp.com
Wed May 2 19:47:54 UTC 2007

On 5/2/07 2:33 PM, "L Goodwin" <xrayv19 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I need help finding a UPS that can tell a computer
> running FreeBSD 6.2 to shutdown. I checked the
> hardware compatibility -- UPS are not even listed.
>
> The "APC Back-UPS ES USB 750VA w/TEL & COAX" meets my
> needs, but they don't offer the software (PowerChute
> Personal Edition) for FreeBSD (closest is Mac OS X).
>
> My budget is $100 (+/- $20). The system is a modest
> server (ASUS PDB-DS w/onboard SCSI controller, Intel
> PII/400, 3 SCSI HDD, 1 CD-ROM, 1 3.5 floppy, video
> card, NIC), 14" monitor, kbd and mouse. In addition
> there is a cable modem and a 4-port router.
>
> I'd prefer a major brand that I can purchase locally,
> if possible. If you know of one that will definitely
> work, please respond. Thanks!

Check out sysutils/apcupsd.  I have it running with similar APC UPS's, and
it does exactly this.  I even added another destination line on some of the
scripts it runs on different power events, and when the power is off long
enough (5 seconds I believe), I get a message sent to my cell phone (via
smtp).
--
Jonathan Horne
freebsd at dfwlp.com