Bridging with tap

Pete Jones pete_sw at hotmail.com
Wed May 2 18:02:37 UTC 2007

Thanks for the reply,
I followed the instructions in the handbook for ethernet bridging. In
Freebsd 6.1 release you could compile the bridge and tap modules into the
kernel, then enable ethernet bridging and actually bridge two interfaces
using sysctl.conf. I found that this brought a tap interface up at startup.
This did not automatically happen for me using 6.2 release, I have since
discovered however that  openvpn on startup brings up a tap interface, but
of course at this point the sysctl.conf bridging entry had passed. I have
since discovered that bridge has been superceded by if_bridge and that I
should be able to bridge the two interfaces using rc.conf. I have entered
the correct command, but how do know for sure that the two interfaces are
bridged?

thanks in advance