X/gnome through ssh, clashes with local gnome?

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Wed May 2 16:53:43 UTC 2007

"Warren Head" <warrenhead at gmail.com> writes:
> So, you're saying that although I can run things on my server,
> I shouldn't have expected to get the RDP/VNC extra's (if you can call it
> that) such as the menu(items), background, windowmanager, etcetera.
>
> I basically expected the remote gnome to appear as a window that I could
> throw fullscreen or have minimized.
> Is that possible in any way?

Without installing any additional software: SSH to the remote host,
start Xnest and run gnome-session on the Xnest display.

There are other ways to do this, the closest equivalent to RDP in the
Unix world is NX by NoMachine (www.nomachine.com).  Don't even think
about VNC - it is extremely insecure.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no