"BSDstats: Minor Update to Port ..."

Lars Kristiansen lars+lister.freebsd at adventuras.no
Wed May 2 11:59:02 UTC 2007

RW skrev:
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 23:10:27 +0200
> Lars Kristiansen <lars at adventuras.no> wrote:
>
>> Marc G. Fournier skrev:
>
>>> I've just made a slight change to the port so that it adds a
>>> bsdstats.sh script to /usr/local/etc/rc.d that can be enabled
>>> in /etc/rc.conf so that it runs on system reboot ...
>>>
>>> The script that prompts you to enable will auto-enable boottime
>>> reporting if you enable monthly reporting as well ...
>> It adds half a minute or so to startup-time.
>>
>> So I changed  the line:
>> run_rc_command "$1"
>> to:
>> run_rc_command "$1" &
>>
>> To force it to background.
>> Is this correct action in rc-scripts?
>
> A much better solution is to install sysutils/anacron instead; fix the
> problem, not the symptom.

Thank you for answering.
Are you saying that the rc-system should not be used for setting a
program to background to be able to continue booting?

In that case maybe a simple entry like this in /etc/crontab will do:
@reboot  /usr/local/etc/periodic/monthly/300.statistics -nodelay

I do not think only the bsdstats script is enough to want to install
anacron.

--
Regards,
Lars