How to find HorizSync / VertRefresh rates?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed May 2 08:42:35 UTC 2007

I feel the need to remind folks that the concept of refresh rates is
completely meaningless with LCD panels.  Flatpanels do not have a single
scan gun that draws lines at a specific time and rate of speed across a
phosphor.

The computer in the LCD panel takes the video input at a range of refresh
rates, and converts it to a bitmapped image that is fed to the display
crystals.  You can use whatever horizontal and vertical refresh rates
you want, as long as they are in the table that the LCD panel's computer
can decode, the resulting output is the same.

I also will remind people that the pixel counts as resolution on flatpanels
also have no meaning.  A flat panel has a fixed natural resolution.  Any
other resolution that you feed to it is either dithered up or dithered
down to match the actual resolution by the display computer in the flat
panel.

Ted