can't zip large files 2gb >

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Tue May 1 21:27:33 UTC 2007

David Banning wrote:
> I am attempting to zip large files that are 2GB - 3GB.
>
> uname -a;
>
> FreeBSD 3s1.com 4.11-STABLE FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE #7
>
> I have tried gzip, bzip2 from the ports and rzip.
>
> All give no errors on zipping, but will not unzip, siting
> CRC errors.
>
> Is there a maximum file size for zipping? Is my system too old?
> Maybe a file or library that all zip programs depend on that is
> corrupt?

Your system is not too old, there were plenty of big files around when
4.11 was released. Sometimes we had to refill the oil lamps before gzip
completed, but we made do.

I routinely gzip and gunzip files several gb in size on a 4.8 release
machine. If I had to point fingers I would question your disk. Try using
gzip and gunzip on a different drive.

Also you don't say if the files are local, if you are transmitting the
files make certain they are not being sent in ascii format, ftp for
instance.

DAve

Veterans?