upgrade

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Tue May 1 12:26:27 UTC 2007

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 23:12:48 -0400
Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at msu.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 10:54:52PM -0400, kalin mintchev wrote:
>

> > hello...
> >
> > how painful is to upgrade srcs from 6 to 6.2? all backup and stuff?
>
> Not very painful, though I would definitely recommend a backup.
> Even though the upgrade process is quite reliable, it is easy to
> make a mistake or change your mind about something in the middle
> and so you might want your old files.

Personally I just backup "/etc", which contains the configuration for
the base system. It's possible to mess-up these file within
mergemaster, and it would be a pain to recreate them. Everything else
is reinstallable, or user data, and the threat to the latter
isn't much greater than when upgrading ports.