How Write To Win Drive?

Stan Cooper soupercooper at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 31 20:00:20 UTC 2007

Szakacsits Szabolcs <szaka at sienet.hu> wrote: > > Error opening partition device: Operation not permitted

> It seems one important error message is missing above this line or you
> don't use the stable ntfs-3g 1.0 version. Correct? If there is another line
> then what's that?

I copied and pasted the entire message and just now double-checked it, so yes, that's the whole message, and no, I didn't miss a line. Regarding the version, uh, I can't find it. I even read /usr/local/include/ntfs-3g/version.h and nothing there! I built it from the latest port after rebuilding my port tree.

> Failed to startup volume: Operation not permitted
> Failed to mount '/dev/ad0s1': Operation not permitted
> The NTFS partition is hibernated. Please resume Windows and turned it
> off properly, so mounting could be done safely.

> The ntfs-3g reliability sanity check could be too paranoid. Please mount
> the partition read-only and send the output of the below 'hexdump' command,
> so we could fix this problem.
>
>  ntfs-3g /dev/ad0s1 /win -o force,ro
>  hexdump -C /win/hiberfil.sys | head -20
>  od -tx1 /win/hiberfil.sys

# ntfs-3g /dev/ad0s1 /win -o force,ro
Failed to open /proc/filesystems: No such file or directory
modprobe: not found
Failed to open /proc/filesystems: No such file or directory
# hexdump -C /win/hiberfil.sys | head -20
hexdump: /win/hiberfil.sys: No such file or directory
# od -tx1 /win/hiberfil.sys
od: /win/hiberfil.sys: No such file or directory

Now, I hate to disappoint you, but my satellite Internet connection is going to be turned off at any time. Could be days, could be midnight my time. I quit paying ;) If that happens, I won't be checking email until around Wednesday, and will only be in front of a computer with an Internet connection once a week (for the whole day). GMT+5, will sign on around 9:00 my time. But keep trying until you don't hear back from me ;)
Thanks,
Stan