deleting file '--preserve-permissions'

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Sat Mar 31 19:53:53 UTC 2007

On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 10:36:03PM +0300, lalev at uni-svishtov.bg wrote:
> I've made mistake with tar. Something like
>
> tar cvfz --preserve-permissions home.tgz *
>
> or
>
> tar cvfz --preserve-permissions * home.tgz
>
> As result I have a file with name '--preserve-permissions'.
> It seems that it's not easy to delete this file.
>
> rm '--preserve-permissions'
>
> does not give the desired result.
> What should I do :-)

You should read the rm(1) man-page.
Especially the part that says:

  NOTE
       The rm command uses getopt(3) to parse its arguments, which allows it to
       accept the --' option which will cause it to stop processing flag
       options at that point.  This will allow the removal of file names that
       begin with a dash (-').  For example:
             rm -- -filename
       The same behavior can be obtained by using an absolute or relative path
       reference.  For example:
             rm /home/user/-filename
             rm ./-filename

--