New to FreeBSD

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Fri Mar 30 16:51:50 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 08:09:51AM +0200, Ivan Zenzerovi? wrote:

> Hello, here I am again with another problem.
>
> Thanks for your answers, I managed to setup my system, and now almost
> everything works. Still, I must configure my printer (Hp LaserJet 6L), but
> this is not the issue now. I have troubles with my monitor picture: if I set
> up the monitor picture for windows with the buttons on my monitro, then on
> FreeBSD my desktop goes always to right for a centimeter. Then again, if I
> fix the position with my monitor buttons then on windows the picture goes on
> the right (or left). What's the cause of this? Any solutions?

Run xvidtune from an xterm. Use the controls on xvidtune to get your
picture appropriately centered and then hit the show button.

This will give you a modeline which you can cut and paste into your
/etc/X11/xorg.conf. Put it in the "Monitor" section. Then restart X
and your picture should then be centered.

BTW, if your printer supports postscript, you'll find it easy to
setup. A lot of unix programs output postscript. I just use lpd with a
very simple filter.

> FreeBSD is great, I use it all the times, but still, I miss some programs
> from windows (AutoCAD, SolidWorks, Catia). When I buy myself a lapotp, there
> won't be windows....

I have to buy a Windows license to use AutoCAD LT, much to my
annoyance.

Welcome to FreeBSD, btw!

--

 Frank