ad0: TIMEOUT - Is my disk dying?

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Fri Mar 30 13:44:36 UTC 2007

Christian Walther wrote:

> [...]

Just thought I should point out that you can get errors like this if
your disk drive *cable* is faulty or has wiggled loose.

I spent hours testing a 250Gb drive with manufacturer tools only to
solve the problem by replacing the SATA cable.  I suspect the cable was
fine and had just wiggled loose.  SATA may be thinner, but they're still
a bugger to route because they pull out so easily.  Even an IDE cable
could have gone faulty or wiggled out; but in 15 years that's never
happened to me whereas I've seen 2 SATA cables wiggle out in an
untouched tower case in two years.

--Alex