the art of pkgdb -F

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Fri Mar 30 01:01:55 UTC 2007

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:41:06 -0400
Gerard Seibert <gerard at seibercom.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 20:40:05 +0100
> RW <fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com> wrote:
>
> > Portmanager is really no better, the dependencies recorded in the
> > package database are also recursive. The big problem with gettext
> > was that a lot of port failed to build afterwards, leaving them
> > with a missing library.
>
> I have had problems in the past getting 'portupgrade' to properly
> update all of the dependencies required when doing a major update;
> i.e., 'gettext'.
>
> On the other hand, I have never had a problem using 'portmanager'
> provided I used the '-p -f' flags.

Your missing the point that when portupgrade fails to upgrade the
dependent ports, it doesn't really matter because it has preserved
copies of the old libraries. That allows software built against the old
and new versions to co-exist until the underlying problem is fixed.

I use portmanager myself, but no upgrade utility can guarantee that any
port will build. I got into this problem myself - I couldn't start KDE.
I got out of it by deleting gettext, reinstalling the old version with
pkg_add -r, and re-upgrading gettext with portupgrade.