FreeBSD X11/GNOME/KDM issue

Joseph Marah marahkeh at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 29 20:17:58 UTC 2007

I am new to FreeBSD and been out of touch with UNIX for a while.  I just bought a new system i386 (Intel 3.0 Ghz CPU, 2.0G mem, 500G disk space etc).  I think I successfully downloaded the install files and burnt my cds. I think I installed the system OK.  I think I installed X11 from ports. I then installed GNOME from ports( Maaan it took so long).

  I entered into /etc/rc.conf  gdm_enable = "YES" ...........  shut down and loggen in through GDM successfully.
  Played with it for a while.  All utilities showed up fine.  I browsed the Internet too.

  Then I decided to try KDE and installed it from ports (took loooong).  After install I looged in through GDM.  I saw everything KDE brought with it using GNOME interface and read the KDE mannual a bit.  Then I used the user administration tab and added myself as a user in addition to root.

  I also changed kde_enable = "YES" in /etc/rc.conf in place of  gdm_enable = "YES" hoping to be able to log back in using KDM.  I shutdown and restarted.  I got the KDM logon interface but the introduction showed my username I last added, as my default login.  I entered root as user but a message came saying "root logons are not allowed."  I tried logging in as myself and entered my correct password but I was sent to a window which read : Could not start kstartupconfig. Check your installation. I clicked OKAY.  This took me back to the KDM logon manager.

  To cut matters short, I have been locked out of my system.  how can I get back in?  Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks.

Regards

Joseph Marah