time problems

bram bram at diomedia.be
Thu Mar 29 12:53:52 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I am running 6.1-RELEASE-p2-AMD64 on a dual AMD opteron system.
Lately (after installing a twa-3ware raid controller I think) time just
stops.
We leave at work one evening and the clock is set ok.
The next morning the clock is set at 3 o'clock instead of 8 o'clock,
sometimes there is no clock anymore,
when we type date, it just returns to the next line without any output
whatsoever.

This is very annoying, I've set a crontab task every 5 minutes to
re-update the date but it does not help (wich leads to my believe that
time has stopped).

So, what could this be, and can I work around the problem ?

Every service this machine runs stops working at such a time (no ssh
etc), the local keyboard still works.

kind regards