the art of pkgdb -F

Michael P. Soulier msoulier at digitaltorque.ca
Thu Mar 29 00:34:12 UTC 2007

On 28/03/07 Kevin Kinsey said:

> Here is a time-honored and rather canonical diatribe on "The Art of
> Pkgdb -F" (a great thread title, BTW).  Note also that it is nearly
> six years old, and that additional package-management tools have been
> proposed, created, and released to the public, and some may have already
> been EOL'ed and buried, but the rest of them aren't considered "standard"
> by any means, and currently the FreeBSD world is in a pseudo-Biblical
> "every man did as he saw fit" state these days[1].
>
>   http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2001/11/29/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

I suppose I'm curious as to how my ports got into this state in the first
place, since I would have expected a package managements system to have
prevented it.

Now, I've been upgrading ports via

portupgrade -R <port>

as suggested in the handbook. As -R upgrades only those packages that require
those supplied, and not those that it requires, would that cause it?

I'm wondering how my port dependencies became broken in the first place.

Mike
direction." --Albert Einstein