How Write To Win Drive?

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Mar 28 15:51:08 UTC 2007

Stan Cooper wrote:
> Kevin Kinsey <kdk at daleco.biz> wrote: Stan Cooper wrote:
>>> Roland Smith  wrote:Try /usr/ports/sysutils/fusefs-ntfs
>>> instead. It's newer and is supposed to support writing.
>>>
>>> Hmm. Well, there's no such port in FBSD.
>> Are you certain?
>>
>> [kadmin at archangel][/usr/ports]
>> uname -s
>> FreeBSD
>>
>> [kadmin at archangel][/usr/ports]
>> ll IN*6
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  9888013 Feb  6 09:33 INDEX-6
>>
>> [kadmin at archangel][/usr/ports]
>> ll sysutils/fusefs-ntfs
>> total 1
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1075 Feb 20 21:25 Makefile
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   214 Feb 20 21:25 distinfo
>> drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   512 Jan 21 02:09 files/
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   354 Dec  5 16:56 pkg-descr
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   840 Dec  5 16:15 pkg-plist
>
> Geez, well I just copied your commands directly and, naturally,
> the first two went without a hitch, but the last one gave me
> "No such file or directory", and yes, I did that from /usr/ports

Well, hmm....

What was the date of the INDEX file?  Where did your ports tree
come from, and when was it last updated?  I'd be willing to stick
my neck out and boldly guess that it was prior to 6 Dec last year ;-)

> I built this system this year. So you'd think it'd be there, right?

Built it how?  With what installation media?  What does "uname -a" say?

The date of the "build" doesn't logically prove much.  To play
"devil's advocate", if I "built" a 4.10 system from CD-ROM  _yesterday_
and installed the ports collection from its CD, I'd not expect to
find a port added 4 months ago.  The certainty of the port's existence
depends on other factors, and until we know more about your
system/situation, we can't play "Carnac the Magnificent". :-)

>> I wouldn't know; but I'd try the port, because if it failed
>> I might get some support from this community.
>
> Well, let's hope some help's forthcoming ;)

Touche.  I'm thinking that you may already be familiar with the
Handbook's Chapter 4 --- I'd look also at Chapter 22 ("The Cutting
Edge") with the realization (and this might be a shortcoming of the book,
but I've not done enough recent reading to say) that the process of
"updating" your system (base system, that is, FreeBSD) shares a good
many similarities with keeping the "Ports Collection" updated.

If you have cvsup installed, take a look at the "ports-supfile" in
/usr/share/examples/cvsup --- it shouldn't be too difficult to get
a ports collection that contains this port.  What may happen after that,
I can't say --- YMMV, #include <disclaimer.h> and all that.

Finally, here's a couple of classics from my Bookmark collection
that deal with keeping ports up-to-date.  AFAIK, they are still
pretty applicable today, with the exception of the fact that
"portupgrade" isn't the only way to do this anymore --- I think
the first one (Dru Lavigne's article) has all the procedure in gory
detail:

   http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/28/FreeBSD_Basics.html
   http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2001/11/29/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

Hopefully this is at least a start at "community support". :-)

Best of luck,

Kevin Kinsey
--
If a man is not a liberal at 25, he has no heart.
If he's not a conservative by 45, he has no brain.