New to FreeBSD

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Wed Mar 28 14:54:42 UTC 2007

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 04:08:30PM +0200, Ivan Zenzerovi? wrote:

> hello again.
>
> I made a mistake during post install config. I put a name that I don't want
> for my computer, and when I logon as root it's written in the comand line.
> How di I change it?

Presuming by that that you mean your hostname, then that is
set in /etc/rc.conf     --  look for the hostname command and
edit it.     It is best if it has the fully qualified hostname
including domain, not just the first (left-most) element of it.

If you are using this machine on the net, then that hostname has
to be registered with who-ever is providing DNS for you.  So,
whatever you set it to needs to be what is registered and matches
the IP address you have for the machine.   In addition, the domain
name needs to be correct in   /etc/resolv.conf

////jerry