the art of pkgdb -F

Beech Rintoul beech at alaskaparadise.com
Wed Mar 28 04:37:22 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 27 March 2007, Jeffrey Goldberg said:
> On Mar 27, 2007, at 8:34 PM, Josh Carroll wrote:
> >> Stale dependency: p5-Authen-SASL-2.09 -> p5-GSSAPI-0.24
> >> (security/ p5-GSSAPI):
> >> p5-Geography-Countries-1.4 (score:26%) ? ([y]es/[n]o/[a]ll) [no]

In this case the port p5-Authen-SASL-2.09 is linked to p5-GSSAPI-0.24,
but security/ p5-GSSAPI-0.24 doesn't exist. thus it's a "stale
dependency".

It then searches what ports you do have installed and picks what it
thinks is closest. In this case p5-Geography-Countries-1.4. the score
is how close a match to the original dependency this choice is. In
this case 26% which isn't a very good match.

([y]es/[n]o/[a]ll) [no] means "Do I want to change the link to what's
suggested? Yes No or All. All means every time a stale link to
p5-GSSAPI-0.24 is found answer yes. And finally the last [no] is the
default. Hitting enter will use this answer unless you change it.

Unless you're sure of the replacement choice (it's just a version
update etc...), don't blindly just choose "yes". You can really shoot
yourself in the foot and cause all kinds of build failures. If you're
not sure, choose "no" and hit enter. It will then ask you if you want
to reinstall the dependency it's looking for. Which would be a good
choice in this case.

Hope this helps,

Beech

Beech Rintoul - Port Maintainer - beech at alaskaparadise.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.2R/announce.html