New to FreeBSD

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Tue Mar 27 23:16:28 UTC 2007

> Hi guys,
>
> i managed to install it, and, in fact I'm working on it right now. It's
> great, just tell me, I should compile my kernel at this point?

If you have csup-ed new stuff or if you need some other driver in
the kernel, then you need to build one.  But otherwise, don't do it
if the kernel you are running is working fine.

>    And a
> question: I don't like this xorg, and I have installed KDE but how do I run
> KDE?

Maybe you misunderstand Xorg.   It is the Xwindows system.  You need it.
But you want either/and a windows manager or/and a desktop manager.
So far you probably have only the simple windows manager that gets
installed along with Xorg (I think it is TWM) which is extremely minimal.

There are a number of windows managers such as AfterStep (which I have
been using) or XZfce which some people are now seeming to like.  You
can install them from ports and then you have to configure them to
your liking.

KDE (and gnome) is a desktop manager which includes a window manager.
But, it still uses Xorg to do the windows as far as I know.
You should be able to enter the command 'startkde' to run it.
You could also tinker around and get it to start automatically when
you log in, but there might be times you don't want it to and typing
startkde is pretty easy.

I find kde to be rather overkill for my purposes.  It is too much of
an attempt to replace [be like] MS-Win and I ain't interested in
anything being like that.  I just want things to run and do what I
tell them.    But many people like all the extra things that are
included in KDE, so check it out and decide for yourself.  Gnome
seems to be even more overkill so I've only tried to install and
run it once, several generations ago for those reasons.

////jerry