IRQ storm

Sten Daniel Soersdal netslists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 19:59:43 UTC 2007

Vlad GURDIGA wrote:
> On 27/03/07, Sten Daniel Soersdal <netslists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Vlad GURDIGA wrote:
>> > After running this:
>> >
>> > /sbin/atacontrol reinit ata2
>> >
>> > the storm was gone.
>> > My HDD in on ata4:
>> >
>> > #atacontrol info ata4
>> > Master:  ad8 <ST3160812AS/3.AAD> Serial ATA II
>> > Slave:       no device present
>> >

>> > Why?
>> >

>> Could be one of any number of reasons and my guess is that the drive
>> wants to enter sleep mode, due to overheating or energy saving. And
>> either controller, driver or both found it unreasonable.
>
> You can see the brand and model of my drive. I have Windows XP on the
> same computer which works fine. Would the drive want to enter sleep
> mode only under FreeBSD?

Depends on your workload. Perhaps you do something under FreeBSD that
generates more heat?

>> Perhaps you could inform us after you have researched it?
>
> I do not have a plain idea about what I could or should research in
> this case... Could you please be morespecific?

I would start with the name of the SATA controller and drive and see
whether someone else has had the same problems (search archives and
google). Then i'd probably check temperatures, chipsets, try -CURRENT
(for driver updates to see whether that fixes it) and go from there.
See if you can identify a condition that triggers the IRQ storm.

--
Sten Daniel Soersdal