Updating Bind & OpenSSL on 6.1-Stable/Release

Don O'Neil lists at lizardhill.com
Tue Mar 27 16:41:11 UTC 2007

Don't assume that just because this is the first time I've raised concerns
about the ports means that this is the first time I've used FreeBSD.... I've
been using FreeBSD since 1.X.

My point is that it's a pain the rear to do a CVSUP/Buildworld (takes a long
time) so the ports collection is the easiest way to update/upgrade software.

It would be nice to have some sort of reference as to how the original
software was built and installed (the build options) or have the ports be
built to match the original to facilitate easy upgrade of one or two items.
I agree that in general these are 'add on' tools, but there are core
functions (bind, ssh, etc...) that get patched from time to time because of
security and it's a LOT quicker to re-install the port than it is to do a
buildworld.

These are just my observations.