New to FreeBSD

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Tue Mar 27 02:31:55 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 11:09:52PM +0200, Ivan Zenzerovi? wrote:

> Hi to all.
>
> My name is Ivan and I'm new to FreeBSD and Unix, I worked a little in
> Linux, but it was a long time ago. I downloaded the 5.5 release and I
> plan installing it. I downloaded also all availible docs. I wondered
> if it is ok to start with this.

It is OK, but I would encourage you to download the latest RELEASE
to start with and that currently is FreeBSD 6.2.   It is better than 5.5.

But, you can get 5.5 to work if that is what you wish.

>      And, also, I have an integrated GPU,
> it works well on FreeBSD?

Do you mean one that is built in to the motherboard?
There is a list of supported hardware in each RELEASE section
on the FreeBSD web site.   That is the place to look first.
Some NICs and other controllers that are int4egrated on the
motherboard do not work well, but I don't know which ones.
You might have to get more specific with the chip identification and such.

////jerry