using nut-ups with apc UPS on USB

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Mon Mar 26 16:55:11 UTC 2007

I use nut-ups on a number of systems both attached to a UPS and some as
network slaves.  In all my systems I use UPS's that have serial interfaces
and USB, but connect them via serial.

If you read the docs on nut-ups you will see some drivers do support the
USB's.  You will need to specify the port in ups.conf typically in
/usr/local/etc/nut
The line would be:
port = /dev/usb0

You can experiment with the port to get the right one.  Nut will tell you
if is can or cannot talk to the UPS.

         -Derek

At 09:18 PM 3/25/2007, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
>Hey,
>I'm new to using nut-ups, or any UPS monitoring software.
>
>Mainly I want some kind of reporting on power failures, and for a
>clean shutdown in the event of a prolonged outage.
>
>The UPS is an APC Back-UPS ES 500, with a USB interface. With usbd
>running, usbdevs shows it connected.
>
>[msoulier at kanga ~]$ sudo usbdevs
>Password:
>addr 1: OHCI root hub, SiS
>addr 2: Back-UPS ES 500 FW:824.B1.D USB FW:B1, APC
>addr 1: OHCI root hub, SiS
>
>The syntax of upsd.conf requires a pathname for the port to talk do.
>What device file would this work out to?
>
>Any hints on setting this up? If nut-ups isn't the right software, I'm
>open to suggestions.
>
>Cheers,
>Mike
>--
>Michael P. Soulier <msoulier at digitaltorque.ca>
>"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a
>touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
>--Albert Einstein
>
>--
>believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.