using nut-ups with apc UPS on USB

Michael P. Soulier msoulier at digitaltorque.ca
Mon Mar 26 02:18:36 UTC 2007

Hey,
I'm new to using nut-ups, or any UPS monitoring software.

Mainly I want some kind of reporting on power failures, and for a
clean shutdown in the event of a prolonged outage.

The UPS is an APC Back-UPS ES 500, with a USB interface. With usbd
running, usbdevs shows it connected.

[msoulier at kanga ~]$ sudo usbdevs
Password:
addr 1: OHCI root hub, SiS
 addr 2: Back-UPS ES 500 FW:824.B1.D USB FW:B1, APC
addr 1: OHCI root hub, SiS

The syntax of upsd.conf requires a pathname for the port to talk do.
What device file would this work out to?

Any hints on setting this up? If nut-ups isn't the right software, I'm
open to suggestions.

Cheers,
Mike
--Albert Einstein