Installing on large disk

John C Nolen chrishiker at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 25 20:50:34 UTC 2007

I have a 40 GB hard disk that was made in 2001 with windows xp installed
on a 20 GB partition. BIOS setup says 19158 cylinders, 16 heads and 255
sectors.
I want to install freeBSD on the second 20 GB partition. All the
instructions seem to refer to small disks, as they appear to require
cylinders less than 1023.
Sysinstall appears to require cylinders less than 1023. Did I miss
something?
Is it possible to install BSD as a dual operating system with windows xp
on a disk larger than 8 GB ?
Am I trying to do something impossible?
Should I just ignore warnings and type in 1023 when asked about cylinders?
If I uninstall the windows xp can I put freeBSD on one big 40GB partition?
I could not find any information on this in handbook or FAQ.