Split a PDF page

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Fri Mar 23 15:17:38 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 04:07:53PM +0100, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> David Kelly wrote:
>
> >Tuning in late has anyone suggested *printing* the PDF to PDF using a
> >PDF viewer? Print only the ranges of pages you are interested in. At
> >worst print to PS file and then convert PS to PDF.
> >
> >I do this fairly often in Preview on MacOS X.
>
> I can easily do that even with ghostscript.
> The problem is not that I want to split a document into single pages,
> but that I want to split a page in two.
> Someone printed two A4 n-up on an A3; I want the two A4 separated again.

Even so, set the output scaling and orientation that multiple sheets are
needed to print the current sheet. Then capture the sheet/page you
desire and discard the rest.

Or you could do it the Old Fashioned Way we used about 20 years ago:
Print to PS and hack the PS with vi. Each n-up "page" is probably nested
within a scaled region. IIRC the red Adobe Postscript book was important
to have handy.

Would guess some of the smart context-sensitive text editors know
Postscript and can block select nested sections.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net