SOLVED: Re: Problems with "burncd" - cannot mount result on unix or windows

Chris Hill chris at monochrome.org
Fri Mar 23 01:08:10 UTC 2007

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, UCTC Sysadmin wrote:

[snip]

> mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /mnt
>
> fails and the CD is also unreadable on windows.
>
> Well duh. That is because THE FILE SYSTEM HAS TO BE CREATED MANUALLY.
> Now, users used to smart unix commands read the man page and it SAYS
> of burncd
>
> fixate writes a TOC and makes the CD readable
>
> I am writing an ISO9660 device (a device for which ISO9660 is a
> reasonable default FS - yes? no?) Any meaningful defaults here? Did
> the man page tell me I hade to wrap my data inside a filesystem image?
> I did not see that. So DUH is right.
>
> I then said, hey.
>
> mkisofs -R -o image.raw junk.tar
>
> THEN said
>
> burncd -f /dev/acd0 data image.raw fixate
>
> and VOILA like magic all is good. It works and reads on unix and windows like
> a champ.
>
> =======
>
> So THE FAQ and/or HOWTO SUCKS, is the problem.

Not sure which FAQ you are referring to, and I thought HOWTO was a Linux
thing. How about the handbook instead. This whole mkisofs business is
pretty well documented at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-cds.html
Having read that, I've never had a single problem writing data CDs under
FreeBSD, and I'm a long way from being a guru.

> If that offends purists, try fixing your transmission under deadline
> with a japanese shop manual translated into english and no diagrams.

Been there, done that. How about fixing your transmission with no
documentation at all, only your (meager) previous experience to go on.
And still with a deadline. And the deadline is tomorrow, but it's the
weekend so no shops are open. And Tim Berners-Lee is 22 years old, so
nothing online even if you could afford a computer.

In my experience, documentation (especially API documentation) is
usually wrong in some respect or another. That's why anyone trying to
write a driver really needs to have the hardware.

> Documentation makes all the difference, both to novices and to
> professionals.

I agree completely. Good documentation makes the difference between a
painless experience and a painful one.

> Someone who knows the how and what should write a contributed thing -
> whenever they have the time and desire to educate the unwashed masses.

Please feel free to do so. It would be much appreciated by the next
person who finds himself in your position.

> -foo-

  -bar-

Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]