Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Wed Mar 21 22:29:08 UTC 2007

I asked how to pass the -p argument to fetch when doing a port upgrade.

Answers here, and further digging confirm that the presuppositions
behind my question were wrong.

First of all, the problem that I was having had nothing to do with
active vs passive FTP.  I had butchered all FTP traffic with my
firewall rules.

<Rant>
As an aside, I'd like to rant that there is no reason for ftp to
exist anymore.  Sure it is stateful in a way that HTTP isn't, but
that isn't enough to justify its continued use.

   <Qualification>
    Of course having recently displayed my ignorance of how these
things work,
    I'm in no position to make such proclamations.
   </Qualification>
</Rant>

By default (at least in 6.2-RELEASE) fetch is called with the -p
option, thus making my request to the list even less coherent.  This
is defined by

   FETCH_ARGS?=        -ApRr

in bsd.port.mk

<Rant>
  As far as I can tell this and many other configuration options are not
  documented anywhere outside of the .mk files themselves.  Is that
really how
  things should be?
</Rant>

Anyway, I'd like to thank everyone for their help and patience.

-j