started playing with jails

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Wed Mar 21 21:46:58 UTC 2007

Jonathan Horne wrote:

> what is the best method for backup?  just back up the whole thing as if it were
> "files" on my host?

Files in a jail are in fact just files on the host, so you could
certainly do that. But as in many things (and especially when
talking about backups), "best" is framed by local conditions,
practices and requirements. There's nothing much special about
backing up jail files though, so do what you normally do.

There are by default some constraints on jailed processes using
devices. This may or may not affect trying to run backup processes
from inside the jail. Backups running in the host environment have
no such constraints.

Personally, I like to configure all jails on a standalone /jails
partition so that I can easily take a snapshot from the host and run
a backup against that.

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348