portmanager or portupgrade?

Gerard gerard at seibercom.net
Wed Mar 21 12:39:12 UTC 2007

On Wednesday March 21, 2007 at 08:19:38 (AM) n j wrote:

> first off, I'm looking for a ports upgrading solution on my box, not
> trying to start a religious debate over which one is better. I'm
> interested in hearing what other FreeBSD admins are using and, if
> possible, why they prefer one over the other. I have some experience
> with portupgrade only, but I see more and more people talk about
> portmanager, so I thought it would be good to hear what others use.

I use portmanager and find it quite effective at updating the system. It
has a conf file similar to portupgrade. In fact, it can use the
portupgrade file.

> On a related note, is portmaster comparable to the previous two?

I found it to be slow and not as through at updating ports with broken
dependencies; however, that was using one of the original versions of
the program. I understand it has improved.

--
Gerard