Installing xPDF on a shared server

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Mar 21 12:33:17 UTC 2007

> I need to install xPDF on a shared server at ipower.  I am completely new to
> this, and do not understand the command lines.  In elementary terms, can you
> help me with step-by-step instructions?  I've contacted ipower and Derek at
> xPDF, and they were unable to help with installing xPDF on the shared
> server.  I understand that its frustrating explaining this to someone as who
> knows nothing about freebsd, ports, etc.  The instructions listed below have
> only confused me more.  I dont know where to issue commands, etc.

While I can't speak for everyone, my first question would be: can you please
describe the problem a little better?  What have you tried?  What happened
when you tried those things.

I'm unclear as to exactly where you're having trouble.

Also, it's poor form to cross-post (post to multiple lists at once) and
questions@ and freebsd-questions@ are the same list.

>  6.4.3 Xpdf
>
> If you want a small FreeBSD PDF viewer, *Xpdf* is a light-weight and
> efficient viewer. It requires very few resources and is very stable. It uses
> the standard X fonts and does not require *Motif(r)* or any other X toolkit.
>
> To install the *Xpdf* package, issue this command:
>
> # pkg_add -r xpdf
>
> If the package is not available or you prefer to use the Ports Collection,
> do:
>
> # cd /usr/ports/graphics/xpdf
> # make install clean
>
> Once the installation is complete, you can launch *Xpdf* and use the right
> mouse button to activate the menu.

Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com