How-to reprio gcc (by default)?

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Wed Mar 21 04:39:09 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 06:23:06PM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
> >	Guys,
> >
> >	This may grab some interest from those running dog-slow servers
> >	and using a GUI env.  (Gotta fess up and admit it took me a
> >	couple years in the late 80's before I would touch Sun's NeWS.
> >	Then I  got hooked on using multiple xterms; the rest is history.)
> >
> >	Unless I'm having severe delusions, by tweaking the NICE
> >	priorities on a bunch on std and added binaries, on my 400MHz.
> >	Kayak (with gnome-lite), I'm getting good performance.  Later
> >	this year (or whenever hands can help me rob my junk Kayak's
> >	memory) I'll boost the SRAM from 192 to 512MB.   That ought to
> >	allow me to run even more smoothly.
> >
> >	The tuning so far has been done entirely by-hand.  One example is
> >	setting the sendmail priority from a nice of 0 down to 7. I've
> >	nice'd xload down to 20; increased firefox to -17, and so forth.
> >	top runs very well niced at 19 with "-s5".  And it does keep the
> >	5-second update fairly well.   I don't care about knowing what
> >	the system is doing every second (or default two seconds).  But
> >	it's nice to know how things are generally going.  ....So now for
> >	some questions: I'm thinking of writing a script that, once it
> >	know that X is running (and gnome/kde/<<whatever>> is in the
> >	table) will re-nice everything to my tastes.  Is there any way of
> >	setting things to run at a lower or higher nice value, other than
> >	by-hand or by-script?  Since I'm not that concerned with having a
> >	port built in K minutes or N hours (or M days :-(), can I set gcc
> >	down to 5 or 7 or whatever value?   Any kernel hackers or *real*
> >	sysadmins who can clue me in?
> >
> >	If my backup server is still running in a few month, I'll write
> >	up an article on "system tuning" and put it on my BSD site.
> >
> >	thanks for any/all thoughts,
> >
> >	gary
>
> Gary,
> 	Seems like /etc/login.conf is the winner if you're looking into
> 	setting the global priority to something a bit lower :).. but if everything
> runs at the same priority won't all your processes be slow at the same
> speed :)?

	Never thought of login.conf, Garrett... hmm.  Won't everything be
	slow? No; I use different prio levels for different processes.
	E.g., experimentally, sendmail is at +7 for now, firefox is at
	-9, "X" is -11, most of the rest are from +5 to +20.  I changed
	"something" last night (one of several processes I reniced) and
	suddenly my response time was greatly improved.  ...So, if I
	can run gXX at some default lower priority (without having to
	renice every compile!) that might make for a more stable
	environment.  Like I said, it'll probably be months.

	Another aim is to get gcc-4.x going and run some tests with loops
	of varying complexity with gcc3.x; then with 4.x.

	I've got another system-tuning question, but in a separate post
	in a day or three....

	gary

  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix