Installing xPDF on a shared server

Brent Russell rbrussell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 22:19:33 UTC 2007

I need to install xPDF on a shared server at ipower.  I am completely new to
this, and do not understand the command lines.  In elementary terms, can you
help me with step-by-step instructions?  I've contacted ipower and Derek at
xPDF, and they were unable to help with installing xPDF on the shared
server.  I understand that its frustrating explaining this to someone as who
knows nothing about freebsd, ports, etc.  The instructions listed below have
only confused me more.  I dont know where to issue commands, etc.

 6.4.3 Xpdf

If you want a small FreeBSD PDF viewer, *Xpdf* is a light-weight and
efficient viewer. It requires very few resources and is very stable. It uses
the standard X fonts and does not require *Motif(r)* or any other X toolkit.

To install the *Xpdf* package, issue this command:

# pkg_add -r xpdf

If the package is not available or you prefer to use the Ports Collection,
do:

# cd /usr/ports/graphics/xpdf
# make install clean

Once the installation is complete, you can launch *Xpdf* and use the right
mouse button to activate the menu.