strange installworld issue

Simon Chang simonychang at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 17:04:18 UTC 2007

On 3/20/07, Jonathan Horne <jhorne at dfwlp.org> wrote:
> im trying to installworld on a machine that is having its first update.
> buildworld and kernel completed without any errors, and installkernel seemed
> just fine.  however, when i installworld, this is the error i get:
>
> phoenix# make installworld
> mkdir -p /tmp/install.7QbDbVE1
> for prog in [ awk cap_mkdb cat chflags chmod chown  date echo egrep find grep
> install-info  ln lockf make mkdir mtree mv pwd_mkdb rm sed sh sysctl  test true
> uname wc zic; do  cp `which $prog` /tmp/install.7QbDbVE1;  done
> cd /usr/src; MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj  MACHINE_ARCH=i386  MACHINE=i386
> CPUTYPE=  GROFF_BIN_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/bin
> GROFF_FONT_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/share/groff_font
> GROFF_TMAC_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/share/tmac
> PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/games:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/games:/tmp/install.7QbDbVE1
> /usr/obj/usr/src/make.i386/make -f Makefile.inc1 reinstall
> awk: Permission denied
> "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1", line 101: warning: "awk
> '/^#define[[:space:]]*__FreeBSD_version/ { print $3 }'
> /usr/include/osreldate.h" returned non-zero status
> echo:Permission denied
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
>
> the machine is:
> phoenix# uname -a
> FreeBSD phoenix 6.2-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p1 #1: Sat Feb 10 11:15:11
> EST 2007     root at phoenix:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PHOENIX  i386
>
> ...but i believe its an AMD64 running i386.  obivously, this was done once
> successfully, but it was done by my partner (but following my directions).  i
> will note, that i am doing it in full multiuser mode, and not in single user (as
> the cannonical method dictates), but at this point, im not totally sure my
> current mode is where my problem lies.
>
> can anyone help decipher this error message?

It looks like the installworld fails because of some permissions issue
(see the several permissions denied messages just before the stop
errors).  Either:

1)  You did not become root when you were attempting to do this,
2)  Some of your binaries had the system immutable flags set,
3)  Some other crazy stuff going on.

I have heard Dan Langille say that he could do an installworld without
dropping down to single user before (he wrote a tutorial on
www.freebsddiary.org where he talked about buildworld on a fast box
and installworld on a slow box).  But just so that we can compare
apples to apples, you should try doing it in single-user mode to
start.

SC