IPv6 Tunnel issues...

Eric F Crist mnslinky at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 14:28:01 UTC 2007

Hey all,

I've got a FreeBSD 6.2 system, compiled from source only two days ago, so it
should have the routing patch applied.  I'm trying to get a tunnel between
my systems and my ISP.  I'm performing the configuration as follows:

ifconfig gif0 create
ifconfig gif0 tunnel <my IPv4 address> <my ISP IPv4 address>
ifconfig gif0 inet6 alias aaaa:aaaa:a::a bbbb:bbbb:b::b prefixlen 126

When I execute the last command, I get:
ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): Invalid argument

This works on a FreeBSD 4.11 system when my ISP tested on their end
(slightly different syntax).

What am I doing wrong?