recommend console email client?

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Sun Mar 18 23:51:30 UTC 2007

Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Jeffrey Goldberg 写道:
>> On Mar 18, 2007, at 9:21 AM, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
>>
>>> alpine => said to support charset conversion but cannot find any link
>>> for downloading it.
>>
>> The link for downloading alpine is deliberately not made public. That
>> is because alpine is considered alpha and UW seems to want everyone
>> who is testing it to be a member of the alpine alpha testers mailing
>> list. You can join the list at

>> and you'll get the location of the latest alpine source, with many
>> reminders that it is alpha.
>>
>> Alpine has the same look and feel of pine.
>>
>> -j
>>
> Al, okay, I'll join that list and hope alpine is as many other
> opensource software that is pretty mature on its 0.8 version.
>
> But, I'd think Washington University better take an approach like
> "release early, release often". That might help. Off topic though.

Two things, alpine is probably being released under a different
semi-proprietary license that all UW software gets released under,
including pine, so it's definitely not BSD licensed or (L)GPL licensed
by any means.

The UW also plays it safe like many institutions and groups that release
software -- they only release things once they're ready for production
because they want to work out all the bugs and don't want to negatively
affect any groups -- within the UW or outside it.

By the way it's not Washington University, it's University of
Washington; Washington (State) University is one of our rivals -- the
Cougars :). Not a biggie, just wanted to clarify a bit.

-Garrett