recommend console email client?

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Sun Mar 18 14:37:32 UTC 2007

Dear list

For years I am not yet satisfied with ANY console email client, though I
have tried quite a few. My requirement is actually very simple: a email
client must be able to:

     1. do the automatic charset conversion, so if I got an email in
        GB18030 charset, it display correct on my UTF-8 console;
     2. is able to connect to IMAP server, copy sent emails to
        INBOX.Sent folder and let me browse IMAP folders;
     3. is able to look up contact information (including telephone
        number) by LDAP;

mutt => charset conversion is not 100% correct (e.g. cannot display
double-width ideograph correctly when it's on the edge); poor ldap
support and me not knowing how to keep sent message in INBOX/Sent
pine => no charset conversion at all and Washington University don't
seems wish to add this feature;
alpine => said to support charset conversion but cannot find any link
for downloading it.

Maybe there are good applications that I didn't try yet?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Best Regards
Zhang Weiwu