upgrading ports/packages

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Sat Mar 17 21:53:02 UTC 2007

On Saturday 17 March 2007 13:55, Gary Kline wrote:
> 	Is there a set of switches that portupgrade will use to upgrade
> 	(from src) _only_ the ports that need rebuilding?   I'm guessing
> 	"not" because it's either -arp or else portupgrade exits without
> 	doing anything!
>
> 	My aim is to build every package just once here (700+Mhz) and
> 	scp and pkg_add the pacakges to my slower boxen?  But even after
> 	using pkgdb -F, the pkg_version -vIL'=" results are unchanged.
>
> 	thanks for any clues!

My experience is that -arp will build all of the ports from source that
needs building but it will (re)build all of the packages. The price for
using the generic "a".

On the slow machine, I wouldn't use pkg_add but portupgrade -Pa. There
are some ports that you can't build packages and have to build from the
source. So, if you have a package in /usr/ports/packages/All,
portupgrade will use it but if you need to build it from source, it
will also do that.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart